July 22, 2010

The Lone and Dreary World

I've always thought the world we live in to be a bit blasé.  I attribute this to the far-more-interesting worlds created in fiction and films. As a kid, I loved the various scenarios presented in R.L. Stine's Goosebumps series (I mean, how cool would it be if there were cameras that killed you when a picture was taken? That would solve that teenage girl take-a-million-pointless-pictures problem I wrote about below).  More recently, I've been smitten by The Hunger Games - sure, life in the districts would be pretty boring, but how exciting would it be to have an annual televised bloodbath and the chance that you or your brother/sister/relative could be chosen for this?

Anyways, I just saw Inception and when it ended, I walked out the doors sad to leave that extraordinary world and plunge back into our ordinary one.  So I thought about what movies I would want our world to be modeled after. 

Inception doesn't make the list, along with others, because while they appear intriguing, only a select few get to live the exciting life of that particular world.  In Inception, I would never make the dream squad so the best I could hope for is to be the flight attendant that assists in the operation (really not all that exciting).  Lord of the Rings crossed my mind, but I'd probably be a lowly Orc beheaded by Gimli's axe.  The same applies to Harry Potter - it's more likely I'd be a Muggle, unaware of the wonderful wizarding world that exists between a trian platform.  So without further ado, the movies I would like our world to be like:

Groundhog Day
I think this would be my #1 choice - wouldn't it be awesome if one time in your adult life you went through a period where you repeated the same day over and over?  I would say you'd get a 14 day minimum so you can have some fun the first days (you know, kill yourself in different ways) and after two weeks you'd have to risk it because the next day you wake up could have you facing the consequences.

The Truman Show
I think it would be fun to be any of the roles in this movie.  It would be fun to be Truman and slowly come to the realization you're in a bubble, or it'd probably be even more fun to be an actor in his show.  And even if you're a regular person, you get to watch this guy live out his life under your viewing pleasure.

Cloverfield
I just like the premise of this.  I think the lost opportunity our world missed was preserving dinosaurs.  How cool would it be to have these massive things patrolling our forests/mountains and wreaking havoc on our urban landscapes (in rare occurrences of course)?  Or if Godzilla or the Lochness Monster existed?  They would add a smidge of danger to your stroll or swim.

The Chronicles of Narnia
I think it would be cool if everyone had their own "wardrobe" that led to some alternate world, but instead of a wardrobe, it's a furniture item or something so when you're scouring your couch for loose change, you end up finding something else.


1 comment: