July 19, 2010

What Really Grinds My Gears: Issue #1


Do you notice anything wrong with this picture?

If you don't you probably are a victim of the plague spreading throughout America.  I have been seeing it far too often lately, as seen in the picture above (discretely taken by me), and there is no reason it should ever happen in the first place.

Because no one can ever have a good enough excuse to justify wearing socks with sandals in public.  Ever.

The thought process that goes into this decision puzzles me. As you leave your house, do you suddenly look outside for the first time and realize it's hot so you want to wear your sandals but have already put on socks as part of your morning ritual and don't want to take them off and wash a pair of barely used socks?  Or is it that you don't want your feet to sweat in your sandals?  Or do you laugh at the face of fashion with your non-conformity (when really people are laughing at you)? 

And it's not like it isn't a conscious action either - you don't just slip into those things, you have to strap yourself into those sandals.  And you have to be fully conscious to wear flip flops with socks - you have to put in extra effort to stretch the fabric in order to sandwich your big toe and second toe between the strap.

If this faux-pas ever occurs to somebody you are comfortable enough with to offer fashion tips, pass this one on to them.

4 comments:

  1. Hey you have a blog! You're a good writer & I agree with this post completely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I observed the photo you have taken I noticed what looks like a airplane wing. Well if you take that into consideration I can completely understand why he has socks on. Have you ever been on a plane and had cold feet it makes for a very long flight. So perhaps he is super smart and doesn't care that he looks like a dork. Love your super stylin aunt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, this was at the airport. But why can't he wear slip-on shoes? They're just as comfortable and you don't have to strap yourself in. I will never come around on this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dad needs to read this post!! :) p.s. I love your blog!!

    ReplyDelete