April 1, 2011

April Fools

I have often been made a fool of on this day, mainly due to some deranged, twisted members of my family.  I myself am actually terrible at playing pranks on people - my last one, I tried to surprise a mission companion by hiding melted chocolate under his sheets, but he discovered it before he got into bed and got upset because he had just washed his sheets the day before. Here are some better pranks that have involved me in some way or another:
  • Age 2 - I was my parents' first child, and naturally adored, so when my mom woke my dad up April Fools morning at 3AM and told him I wasn't breathing, he literally leaped out of bed and ran to my room, freaking out for a few moments before my mom let him in on the joke, whereupon he collapsed onto the floor.
  • Age 11 - I owned a medieval sword that I had bought while we lived in Prague, and I hung it proudly on my wall. . April Fools morning, my mom came in to wake me up for school, but not before dropping the sword on the floor.  I was stirred awake by the sound, and looked down from my bunk bed to see my mom lying on the ground next to the sword, moaning and holding her hand over her eye.  I leaped out of bed much like my father nine years earlier and went to go comfort her before realizing I had been duped so I instead kicked her.  I hadn't even noticed the ketchup she used for her "bloodied" hand in it (she kind of goes all out).
  • Age 20 - I was in Russia on my mission and the emails I'd received from my sister made it sound like she was having a hard time at her new high school.  I was concerned for her, but I never felt more concern than her April Fools day email.  See for yourself below:
Nick, 
I have somthing to tell you. you have to promise you wont tell anyone. I havent told anyone yet. I dont know how to and i am so embarased. Im pregnant. I know its shocking. I can't belive I let myself do this but there was just this one boy and i really liked him and it only happend once. but once was enough i guess. i took a pregnancy test yesterday and it came out positive. im all alone and i dont know who i can tell. I dont know how to tell mom and dad or if i even should. :s help!! im freaking out. i hope you will understand and know that i didnt mean for this to happen. please pray for me and tell me what i should do about mom and dad!! there gunna kill me.  
i love you. 
Quite convincing, eh?  It's so raw that even now I'm not sure how she captured such an authentic tone (the writing only accounted for half of the effectiveness, however - the plausibility of this happening to the rebellious child of the family also made it very believable). I was about to hit reply and respond with something about how God still loves harlots when I noticed the date on the top of the email and let out a huge sigh of relief.  I've never been more scared for someone than I was during those 30 seconds.

To finish, I have to show one of my brother's favorite videos.  APRIL FOOLS! It's my favorite.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like I need to come up with some better April fools jokes, my kids won't have anything to talk about. I think it is safe to say your Mom is the Queen and Master of April fools day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your mom is brutal. I wish I had the balls to pull off "jokes" like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you got me pretty got with the water prank in the MTC, even if it did almost cost you your life

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot about that, that is one of my better ones.

    That moment is very revealing of how brainwashed I was into 100% obedience - if you had asked me if I did it, I was going to say it was me because I didn't want to lie and lose the Spirit. Thankfully, you didn't.

    ReplyDelete