April 10, 2011

Only Thing I Know Is Awkward Silence

Since high school, I've carried around a certain stigma - that I'm awkward.  I mean, my nicknames in high school were Awk and Mormon, both of which are very awkward.

What people don't realize, however, is that the reason I'm so awkward is because I am subjected to more awkward situations than any other breathing entity that I know of.  

Case in point - this week, I received the following email from my professor.
Nick, 
I was hoping to catch you up after class to address an issue which disturbed me yesterday in class, but you fled before I had a chance to catch your attendance. 
I'm all for students bonding and for forming codes of communication within the class arena, and I have no objection to the private corner you and Christof have formed, but yesterday I couldn't help noticing you making a vulgar gesture (which you must have thought was private between the two of you) in response to a remark I made in class. The gesture (involving one's arm being slapped and raised at the elbow) is generally meant to communicate "F*** you", and I need to put you on notice that I, nor anyone else in the class, can tolerate that kind of behaviour. Really disappointed in you.
Unfortunately, this was her interpretation of me and this kid flexing our "muscles" (we are both skinny runts) while cupping our hands over them.  To prevent another awkward interpretation, our hands were on our muscles, not each other's.  

You see, though?  I encounter more of these types of situations than is healthy. And people wonder why I never want to leave the house.

6 comments:

  1. hahaha! Did you tell her what really happened?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to over email but she hasn't responded back. I'm a little scared going into class this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nick, that is hilarious! I seriously was laughing so much that the muscles behind my ears hurt. You have got to go up and talk to her. She obviously doesn't know you very well because you would have been the last person to ever do that. I wonder what the remark was that she made that she thought you were responding to. I found it funny that she said you "fled" from class. Awesome stuff! I wonder if she'll believe you when you tell her the truth. Even if you had done that, I thought your USC teachers were a little more use to stuff like that. Tell her to get to know her students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is safe to say you should just stay inside! I think you should explain to your teacher that you were not even listening to her to make a rude gesture, should clear things up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you need to do a post on how class went this week!! Too good. btw, we are getting together at Christine's for a bbq on Easter sunday. Come on down! Let me know if you need directions. 949-295-1437

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh and we've all ready Under the Banner of Heaven so that will make for some entertaining conversation at the Gibb family party.

    ReplyDelete