August 31, 2012

Fight On

One downside from moving around so much was that I never got to attach myself to a sports team and grow up with them through all the ups & downs. I was a huge A's fan, but then moved to Toronto, which split my allegiance (especially since they were in the same league). I don't know who to root for when they play each other. 

Football I liked the 49ers but that was also hard to maintain living in Germany (although I did become a Frankfurt Galaxy fan briefly - yay NFL Europe!). Basketball and hockey I flirted briefly with, but once we left Toronto my interest in the Raptors & Maple Leafs evaporated (haven't missed much there though).

So, when I got accepted to USC, I finally had a team I could unabashedly support with no qualms or hesitation. Unfortunately, I missed the Bush-Leinart years and the Mark Sanchez honeymoon and was left with a bowl-banned team my last two years. I've graduated and now we're #1 and BCS-eligibile (I really picked my spots poorly), but I now understand what it's like to have a real investment in a team...I feel American! Mainly though, I really want to shut the SEC up and I'd love for us to be the ones to do it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment