November 16, 2010

What Really Grinds My Gears: Issue #3

At the sporting events I've been attending recently there has been a common thread - girls being embarrassed to be seen on camera.  

I don't understand this phenomenon at all.  In between breaks in action, the big screen will begin showing various people in the crowd and then a girl will be shown who then proceeds to act like she's been caught just waking up in the morning without any makeup and a nose full of boogers.  Except she's not.  She's usually not ugly either.  She's a normal looking girl who clearly is confident enough to leave her place of dwelling and be seen by the thousands of people she passes/encounters on the way to the sporting event.  Yet once a camera is on her, it's like she's watching a horror movie - hands are brought up to the face, and are briefly lowered before realizing they are still on the screen and they go back to shielding the world from...what?  I just don't understand this.  What is so embarrassing about being shown?  Are girls that insecure?  I thought I had issues.  

No comments:

Post a Comment