June 5, 2010

Forever Young

So I turned 22 yesterday. I've always looked younger than my age so I've dealt with the growing pains of this "blessing" (as all the old people call it - "oh you'll love that when you're older!") quite well from receiving the kids menu at restaurants to handling the shocked expressions on people's faces when I reveal my age, which is likely 4 or 5 years higher than the figure they were expecting.

But I haven't had any incidents as of late (unless you count being asked for ID at 21+ concerts, which I don't). So it came as a bit of dagger yesterday when my sister told her group of friends it was my birthday and I thought I'd have some fun and ask them how old they thought I was.

"17."
"Umm...no."
"16?"

Ouch. Did she really have to go younger? I have justified her miscalculation as a desire for me to be younger because she liked me. Yeah, that's it.

It still hurts.

No comments:

Post a Comment