August 2, 2010

MVP Like Steve Nash

Let me start by saying I love Nelly Furtado.  She's Canadian, I lived in Canada. She's gorgeous, I was called a "ladykiller" by a great-grandmother yesterday. She had a kid that nobody knows about, I..

Unfortunately, the closest I've ever come to a Furtado was on a school trip in Ottawa, Canada, where her cousin was our tour guide.  Anyway, I love this video of her performing "Say It Right" at the AMA's (I've probably contributed 50 views to its 1.5+ million count).  Here's what I love about it:

-2006 was Nelly's year.  Everybody loved Loose and all the singles that came with it.  I love the crowd reaction at the beginning - they are legitimately excited to see Nelly at the top of her game.  And for a maintream pop artist, she can actually sing live (paging Ke$Ha...actually, I can't tell if this is live or not...if not she at least knows how to lipsync right - Ashlee Simpson take notes).

-I love when artists slightly change their songs live (notice I said slightly - I am personally not a fan of Gaga's 2-minute interludes of banging on piano keys). In this video, the guy on the left does some crazy sounds, which I think totally give a new dimension to the song.  He plays off Nelly nicely. 

-At 1:57, she almost screams the "you don't mean nothing at all to me" line, which I love.  She actually co-wrote the song, and I can tell that line has some resentment/anger behind it.  

-Girl's got moves.  I don't think her feet move at all during the performance, which would make you think it would be pretty boring, but she captivates me the entire time with her swaying arms & later her dancing which you see just as the...

-guitar solo begins at 3:03.  I love how the guy comes out from the smoke, kind of timid and unassuming and yet completely owns the moment with a wicked solo.  Nice for him to get some glory too.  After watching This Is It and seeing MJ's amazing guitarist, I'm led to believe these artists don't just get your average guitarist to play for them.

I've already watched this another 10 times just writing this. It's so good!


No comments:

Post a Comment